Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Recipe of the Week: Penne alla Betsy

If you don't yet know about the Pioneer Woman, then allow me to introduce her. She's a wife, mama, homeschool teacher, rancher, and food-blogger in Oklahoma and she has some of the BEST recipes I've ever tried. (This is probably because they're super unhealthy!) I could never, ever live in her house (because I'd be too big to fit if I ate all of her cooking) but every once in a while I try one of her recipes and they've yet to fail me. One of my favorite things is that on her blog and in her cookbook she has pictures of each step. Ever wonder if what you're cooking looks the way it's supposed to? Wonder no more!

We tried this last week and it's FANTASTIC. Fattening, but fantastic. And even better, it was SUPER easy and quick!

Ingredients:
* 1 lb. shrimp
* 1 lb. penne pasta
* 3 tbsp. butter, divided
* 3 tbsp. olive oil, divided
* small onion, diced
* 2 cloves garlic, minced (I love the jarred, already minced kind!)
* 1/2 cup white wine
* 8 oz. can tomato sauce
* 1 cup heavy cream
* fresh basil
* salt
* pepper

1. Put a pot of water on the stove to boil.
2. Peel and devein shrimp (or buy them that way, like I do) and give them a quick rinse.
3. Heat 1 tbsp. butter and 1 tbsp. olive oil in a pan. (See? I told you it'd be fattening!)
4. Add shrimp and cook until opaque. (Shrimp cook quickly! Watch 'em!) Set aside on a plate.
5. If your water is boiling, add your pasta.
6. Heat 2 tbsp. butter and 2 tbsp. olive oil in a pan. Sautee' garlic and onion for a few minutes.
7. Pull the tails off of the shrimp (if you didn't already) and chop them into smaller pieces.
8. Add white wine and cook for a few minutes, stirring occassionally. (You can use chicken broth instead of wine if you'd like.)
9. Add tomato sauce and stir to combine.
10. Add cream. Continue stirring. Turn down heat to low and simmer for a few minutes.
11. Chop and add basil.
12. Add shrimp to the sauce.
13. Drain pasta and add to the sauce. Stir to combine.
14. Enjoy with salad and bread!!!

No comments: