Thursday, May 5, 2011

April Books...

I planned to finish my other book I'm working on today so that I'd have TWO books for April, but I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen. SO...Just one book instead. I really need to step up the reading but I just run low on time these days. (Who would've thought chasing a toddler would be so much WORK!) Eddie and I are headed to the beach (alone) at least once this summer and the for-sure time is actually a business trip for him so I forsee some long hours sitting in the sun in my future. Wahoo! That being said, here's my one book for April (the June Book Club pick!):

I have to say that The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney was one of the best books I've read in a while.

The Mockingbirds

The book is loosely based on her own college experience with date rape. It was so good that I couldn't put it down!

The story is told from the main character, Alex's, perspective. The book opens with Alex in a boy's dorm room (they're in high school, though) and she's unsure of how she got there or what happened. Once she begins to put the pieces together of what occurred the night before (she was drinking, he {Carter} takes advantage of that) she realizes that he date raped her. She doesn't want to tell anyone what happened but finally realizes that she probably needs to. The story then goes through the students' judicial system. The school doesn't defend and take up for students as it should, so the students themselves have formed their own method of judgement. The court is called "The Mockingbirds" and they will hear the case as it is presented by the students (Alex and Carter) and their "attorneys" or student representatives.

SO good! It was an easy, quick read and I absolutely loved it!

I'm working on the second book in the Hunger Games series, Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins, right now. I also have James Patterson's London Bridges on my list, as well as a potty training book. Exciting, huh? Ha! If you read Big Mama's blog you saw that her next "Book Club" pick is Bossypants by Tina Fey and since it is one I wanted to read anyway, I put myself on the list at the library for it. (Have I mentioned I'm no longer a library fugitive?)

What are you reading? I want to hear what your favorite summer reads are OR what is on your book list for this summer. I'll share my "Official Summer Reading List" very soon. (I am SUCH a nerd.)

No comments: