Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A Year With PW: Spicy Shredded Pork

Well, I am pleased to announce that after the last catastrophe from Pioneer Woman's cookbook, we are back on target with GOOD meals. This one was a winner for sure...for most of us. James didn't like it. But he's been weird about food recently so I'm not going let him vote. ;)

This afternoon I made Spicy Shredded Pork. It was SIMPLE to make (I'm finding that most of her recipes are fairly simple). I really, really like a meal that is slow cooked but doesn't require browning the meat first. I just want to throw everything into a pot and go!

I used my Bullet to puree the rub which consisted of a whole onion, chili powder, cumin, brown sugar, oregano, garlic, white wine vinegar, and salt and pepper. This mixture got rubbed all over a pork shoulder, put into a dutch oven/stockpot, and put into the oven for 6-7 hours. Mine was small-ish (just over four pounds and she suggested four to seven pounds) so it was done in under 6 hours. After it was done I just took the lid off, cranked the temperature up, and cooked it for about 25 minutes more.



We added steamed squash and carrots and baked "orange CFA fries" (sweet potato fries) to ours for a VERY random assortment of sides. Eddie LOVED it, I liked it, and James didn't like the shredded texture. He kept asking me to find him a good piece. I think he got a little piece of fat to begin with and was done after that.

This would be EXCELLENT the way she suggests it which is for pork tacos. I think we'll be trying that next time. Eddie also mentioned he thought it would be good as bbq sandwiches.

It's safe to say that this one was a winner and will be sticking around. Maybe it'll even make the regular rotation!

See my other PW recipes here:

No comments: